Is cold-calling are there is??
I own my own Mortgage company doing Home Loans. I am tired of cold-calling although a few of my buddies have made a killing at it! Does anyone have any advice for me…for marketing on a budget? I have been told to find referral partners like BK lawyers and divorce lawyers. I need to build up my pipeline fast! And I am NOT buying any more leads. I was burned for $1,000 and I don’t care if you are legit, I just don’t have the money for that anymore!
Business 2.0 magazine in an article entitled “Firing Up Your Cold Calls” http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2005/12/01/8364583/index.htm has some very interesting and practical tips on how to improve your cold calling strategies:
1. Call when the screeners (secretaries, assistants) are out – the ideal time to talk to the decision maker and busy executives would be just after daybreak or after dinnertime. They would still be at work, but their assistants and minders would have already left. Yes, the timing is unconventional, but if it could put you on the phone with the person you need, then that’s the thing to do.
2. Engage the gatekeeper. Because you can’t always call before or after 9-to-5, chances are there will be times when the secretary or assistant will answer the phone. Charm them or disarm them with unexpected one liners. Make them think of you as a person not as a nuisance.
3. Find something – anything – in common with the person you are cold calling. Sometimes it takes a little digging to get the response you want from the company you want to do business with. An example given in the article is about a vendor trying to get in touch with the head of an asset management company. Since his calls or emails are not returned, what he did was to find other executives in the company with his same last name, and sent that person an email. Pretending to be a long lost cousin may not always work, but it sure can get you the exec’s attention.
4. Buy before you sell. You have to first know the needs of the company you want to sell to, even to the extent of doing market research about that company. If you are able to zero in on what they need, and articulate it to them, you stand a greater chance in getting at the exec’s door.
5. Be a little unprofessional. Even well-rehearsed scripts can sound, well, scripted. Your pitch may sound professional, but your calls are not returned or your emails deleted. The example given in the article showed the head of a nanotechnology company who have been calling the HR head at Kmart for the last 6 months, to no avail. Finally, he called and simply left the message, “Hey Dante, throw me a bone!” — and got a call back within 5 hours! Unconventional sometimes work, I suppose.
6. Learn to love striking out. The word “NO” will not kill you. Don’t be discouraged by it. You will always get a “no” somewhere somehow. But sooner someone will say “YES” so just keep prodding along until you improve your batting average.
Some other marketing tips:
1. Direct mail. Prepare a well-crafted brochure and send it to your target markets in Sunnyvale. Find a vendor in your area renting mailing lists of business establishments or take the time and go over the yellow pages and get their contact information. You can read more of how to use direct marketing strategies here http://www.powerhomebiz.com/marketing/direct.htm
2. Publicity. Publicity can oftentimes be more effective than advertising. Not only is it cost-effective (oftentimes you are paying for nothing), but also people are apt to remember an article about your business rather than advertising. People find a write-up or special feature about a business more credible and objective than a paid advertising. Publicity also reaches a wider audience: if you are lucky, the national media might even pick up your story. Contact an editor of your local newspaper and pitch your story. Read the article “Leverage the Power of Publicity for Your Small Business”
3. Press releases. Send out press releases through your local newspapers about your business. Whether it is about your story or about a sale you are offering, press releases can be very good exposure for you. You can read more about how to harness press releases for your business here http://www.powerhomebiz.com/marketing/public%20relations.htm
4. Use the Internet. The Web can be your online brochure. You can use it to refer your potential clients for more information about your business; and it could also generate clients for you directly. Some of your potential clients may be looking to the Web for a floral designer, and you need to have a strong presence there as well.
5. Network. Join and be active in your local business organizations, chamber of commerce, etc. Increase your visibility in the community. You can find more information on networking here http://www.powerhomebiz.com/marketing/networking.htm
6. Word of mouth. This is the best form of advertising for your business – afterall, it is free. Read “Secrets of Word Of Mouth Marketing” http://www.powerhomebiz.com/vol154/wordofmouth.htm
what are the type of server?
Web Servers List
Here is a detailed and updated list of the most important and popular web servers:
Apache web server – the HTTP web server
Free and the most popular web server in the world developed by the Apache Software Foundation. Apache web server is an open source software and can be installed and made to work on almost all operating systems including Linux, Unix, Windows, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and more. About 60% of the web server machines run the Apache web server – Refer Web server usage statistics from Netcraft.
The Apache Tomcat has been developed to support servlets and JSP scripts. Though it can serve as a standalone server, Tomcat is generally used along with the popular Apache HTTP web server or any other web server. Apache Tomcat is free and open source and can run on different operating systems like Linux, Unix, Windows, Mac OS X, Free BSD.
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Internet Information Services (IIS)
The IIS for Windows Server 2003 operating system has been developed by the software giant, Microsoft. It offers higher levels of performance and security than its predecessor, the Windows 2000 server. It also comes with a good support from the company and is the second most popular server on the web.
lighttpd, pronounced “lighty” (don’t ask me why), is a free web server that is distributed with the FreeBSD operating system. This open source web server is fast, secure and consumes much less CPU power. Lighttpd can also run on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Solaris operating systems.
Jigsaw (W3C’s Server) comes from the World Wide Web Consortium. It is open source and free and can run on various platforms like Linux, Unix, Windows, Mac OS X Free BSD etc. Jigsaw has been written in Java and can run CGI scripts and PHP programs.
Klone, from KoanLogic Srl, includes a web server and an SDK for creating static and dynamic web sites. It is a web application development framework especially for embedded systems and appliances. No additional components are required when using Klone; thus, one can do away with an HTTP/S server or the active pages engine (PHP, Perl, ASP).
Sun Java System Web Server
This web server from Sun Microsystems is suited for medium and large web sites. Though the server is free it is not open source. It however, runs on Windows, Linux and Unix platforms (at the time of writing the Mac OS X and FreeBSD operating systems were not supported). The Sun Java System web server supports various server-side languages and technologies such as JSP, Java Servlets, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby on Rails, ASP and Coldfusion.
Xitami web server
Xitami is a free, open source web server developed by iMatrix Corporation. FYI, Xitami is iMatrix spelled backwards. The development has stopped after version 2.5, however, it remains popular on small networks. The server is not the fastest in the market but has a small footprint and is available for Windows, Linux and Unix platforms.
Zeus web server
The Zeus web server runs on Linux and Free BSD operating systems. It has been developed by Zeus technology Ltd. And is known for its speed, reliability, security and flexibility. The web server is used on some of the busiest web sites of the world including Ebay. Zeus web server is not free and costs more than a thousand pounds.
Zeus Technology Ltd. – Zeus web server
For further information, refer Web server comparison on Wikipedia and Basic web servers on the World Wide Web Consortium web site (this list is outdated – that’s why I have this article.
If you want to know which server your web site runs on, use the Netcraft’s What’s that site running on? Tool.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers